I got the BEST Christmas present EVER this year….
No, not diamonds,not an amazing purse.
Not even a new car.
Our air conditioner broke.
Well, you may not be cause it’s cold pretty much everywhere else in the country
Not here in Tampa. It’s HOT and HUMID
It broke the day after Christmas and my husband was all like, “Oh, we don’t need to fix it right away, it’s going to be nice out.”
Then, the weather decided to get all pissy and send us record heat.
Record heat means 85 degrees.
So, now I am all pissy.
Me + Hot + a coughing house + no sleep = a bad situation…..BAD
Soooo, it’s Jan 9th and still no a/c.
The parts are “on order”. What ever that means.
The only plus side to all this is my electric bill is going to be super low. Niiiice.
I’ve been thinking of alternative methods to cooling off.
Running around naked.
Ummm, that’s not gonna happen.
Standing in-front of the fridge like every 20 minutes, but then I’m sure my fridge would go out too.
Rubbing Ben-Gay all over me. It totally has a cooling effect.
Or maybe I can come camp out at your house???
So when I’m this hot, my brain gets all crazy and stuff and I do stupid things…..
Like turn on my oven.
Yep, that will totally help the situation.
But Chocolate makes everything better….
See wouldn’t this make you feel better???
Saltine Toffee has been around forever, but I decided to jazz it up with some toasted coconut and salt.
Just melt a little bit of butter
Add some brown sugar and melt…
Line a 17 x 12 baking sheet with non-stick foil and line it with Saltines
Pour your Toffee evenly over the crackers
Spread out if you need to.
Pop it in the oven till the toffee gets bubbly and brown
Top with chocolate chips and pop it back in the oven for a minute.
Spread the melted chocolate chips with an offset spatula.
It will get smooth. And here you have your blank canvas. Add what ever you want.
Pop in the freezer for 30 min and then break into pieces.
- 51 Saltine Crackers, about 1½ sleeves of crackers
- 1¼ cup salted butter
- 1¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 16 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 1½ bags
- 1 cup Coconut Flakes, toasted
- 1 cup Pecans, toasted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Line a 17 x 12 sheet pan with non-stick foil.
- Line the baking sheet with Saltine Crackers.
- Melt the butter in medium saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar.
- Bring to a light boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture evenly over the crackers.
- Place in oven and cook for about 10 minutes. Mixture will be bubbly and caramelizing.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips and place back in the oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and with an off-set spatula smooth out the chocolate.
- Sprinkle with the coconut,pecans and salt.
- Lightly press on the toppings to make them adhere to the chocolate.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 20 minutes.
- Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes or until hard.
- Remove and break into pieces.