Author: Leslie Green- The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
A sweet, no bake dessert
- 3 cups + 6 tablespoons Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2½ cups unsweetened dried coconut(also know as desiccated coconut)
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk, lowfat or non fat is fine
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- Line the entire interior of an 8 x 8 pan with foil sprayed with non stick spray or non stick foil.
- In a large bowl combine the powdered sugar and dried coconut. Stir together.
- Stir in the condensed milk and vanilla.
- Divide the mixture into half.
- Place the plain white mixture into the prepared pan and press it firmly into the pan.
- Place your desired amount of food coloring into the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Firmly press the colored mixture evenly onto the white mixture.
- Cover with foil or cling wrap and place into the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight until the coconut ice is firm.
- Cut into desired size and serve.
* If you don't like to use food coloring, feel free to leave it out. You will just have all white coconut ice.
*The mixture will be very very thick once the sweetened condensed milk is added. It is best to use a non-stick silicone spatula to handle it.
*You can make this several days in advance as long as you keep it covered.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2011/06/coconut-ice.html