Author: Leslie Green-The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
A super Tart delicious Lemon Bar
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) butter
- 1¾ cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon salt plus a pinch
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Line a 9 by 13-inch baking dish(bottom and sides) with non stick foil, or use regular foil sprayed with non-stick spray. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl combine 1¾ cups of the flour, ⅔ cup of the confectioners' sugar, the cornstarch, and ¾ teaspoon of the salt and mix thoroughly.
- Cut the 12 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture.
- Using your hands, 2 forks, or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer the butter-flour mixture to the prepared baking dish and press into an even ¼-inch layer along the bottom and partly up the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the crust is chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the crust until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, assemble the filling by combining the eggs, granulated sugar, flour, and lemon zest in a medium bowl and whisking until smooth.
- Stir in lemon juice, milk, and remaining pinch of salt and mix well.
- When the crust is golden brown, remove it from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Stir the lemon mixture again, then pour onto the warm crust.
- Bake until the filling is set, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the dessert by gently pulling it out of trepan by the foil.
- Transfer to a cutting board and, using a clean knife, cut into squares, wiping knife after each cut.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate, wrapped with plastic wrap, up to 2 days, until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2011/06/lemon-bars.html