|Cajun Roasted Chicken and Vegetable 15 Bean Soup |
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 10 mins
- 1 package Hurst's Cajun 15 Bean Soup, rinsed
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 Zucchini, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 large Red Onion, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1½ lb. Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 6oz. bag baby Spinach
- Place beans in a Large bowl, cover with 2 quarts water. Allow to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours. Rinse.
- Place rinsed beans in large stock pot, cover with 2 quarts water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 2½ hours.
- Preheat over to 400.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper; set aside.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large bowl, toss together garlic, carrots, zucchini, onion and tomatoes with half the spice mixture and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Pour onto baking sheet.
- Cover chicken breasts with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil and remaining spice mixture and place on baking sheet with vegetables.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove and shred chicken.
- After beans have been cooking 2½ hours, add shredded chicken, roasted vegetables and cajun seasoning packed.
- Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add spinach during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2014/01/cajun-roasted-chicken-and-vegetable-15-bean-soup.html