|Split Pea Soup with Ham and Bacon |
Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Split Pea Soup with Ham and Bacon
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Red Onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz Bacon (about 5 slices), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 7 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Cooked Ham, chopped into very small bite sized pieces
- 1 package Hurst's Ham Peas-Green Split Peas, rinsed, discard flavor packet and keep for later recipe
- In a large pot (5 or more quarts), heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, and bacon. Cook for 10 minutes. (Do not drain bacon fat)
- Add thyme and garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, ham and split peas.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2013/10/split-pea-soup-with-ham-and-bacon.html