|Chicken and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese |
Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Chicken and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 squares Savory Butter & Olive Oil Sauté Express® Sauté Starter
- 12 oz. microwavable broccoli florets
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to high broil.
- In a large stock pot bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add macaroni, boil for 9–11 minutes, drain and put back into stock pot.
- While pasta is boiling, cook broccoli in the microwave per package directions. Lightly chop and set aside.
- In a medium nonstick skillet with a lid, melt 2 Sauté Express® Sauté Starter squares over medium heat, and add chicken. Cook for 6–8 minutes per side over medium-low head with the lid on, or until no longer pink in the middle. Remove and chop chicken into bite-sized pieces, set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the cheese sauce. In a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter, add flour, dry mustard powder and pepper, whisk for about 1 minutes or until flour starts to darken.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and whisk until smooth. Bring to a full boil while whisking. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses, stir until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the noodles and mix until incorporated. Fold in chicken and broccoli. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and melted butter, sprinkle over macaroni and cheese. Place in oven and broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2013/04/chicken-and-broccoli-macaroni-and-cheese-giveaway.html