|Guinness Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze |
Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
An ultra rich chocolate cake made with Guinness Stout topped with a salted caramel glaze.
- 1 cup Guinness Stout
- 2 sticks Butter
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Salted Caramel Glaze
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- Pinch Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup Powdered Sugar,sifted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray or grease bundt pan.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the Guinness and butter to a light boil, add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour,sugar,baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the butter/Guinness mixture to the sour cream mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Then using a rubber spatula, lightly fold the batter to make sure there are no pockets of flour.
- Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Then cool completely on rack before.
- Cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight (the cake seems to taste better the next day).
Salted Caramel Glaze
- In a medium saucepan, bring the butter, dark brown sugar, heavy cream and salt to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for ONE minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Continue to whisk in powdered sugar by the tablespoon until you reach your desired consistency.
- Remove the cake from the fridge, place on a cake plate and pour the salted caramel glaze over the top.
- Sprinkle the Fleur de Sel over the glaze.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2013/03/guinness-chocolate-cake.html