|Berry and Mascarpone Overnight French Toast |
Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
A delicious breakfast casserole perfect for brunch.
- 1 large loaf French Bread (about 1 pound), cubed
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
- 8 large Strawberries, Sliced
- 9 Eggs
- 1½ cup Half & Half
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 8 oz. Mascarpone Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar,packed
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Table Salt
- 1 stick Butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped (optional)
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place ½ bread in bottom of pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together mascarpone cheese,powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice and place in a large zip lock bag and snip off the end.
- Pipe the cheese mixture over the bread.
- Top with berries.
- Top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs,half and half, milk, vanilla extract,salt,cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- Evenly pour over the egg mixture.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 min to 1 hour prior to baking to take the chill off.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Make crumb topping by In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the butter.
- With your hands, squish the butter into the flour/sugar mixture until it comes together.
- You will know it is thoroughly mixed when the mixture stays together when squeezed in your hands.
- Mix in the nuts if using.
- To add to your dish, Squeeze in your hands and then crumble on-top of your item.
- Place pan on a baking sheet, bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2013/02/berry-and-mascarpone-overnight-french-toast.html