Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
A sweet, salty,chewy and gooey bar dessert.
- 1 stick + 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar,packed
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/8 teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt,divided
- 1/2 cup Graham Cracher Crumbs
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 25 Pretzel Sticks ( not the big rods) broken up
- 1/2 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 7 Caramel Candies (such as Kraft Caramels), unwrapped
- 1/2 teaspoon cream or half and half
- Heat oven to 350.
- Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- In a small pan, over low heat, melt together the butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Whisk together flour,baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and graham cracker crumbs.
- After the brown sugar mixture has cooled some, whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- While stiring, pour the brown sugar mixture into the flour mixture, this will be somewhat thick.
- Stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour into the pan.
- Top with pretzel pieces and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool in pan.
- Drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt.
- Cut into desired sized squares.
- In a small bowl add the caramel candies and cream.
- Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in-between each increment. Do this until the caramel is smooth.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2012/08/pretzel-caramel-bars.html