Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Peach Cherry Galette..a beautiful rustic tart filled with fresh fruit.
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 14 tablespoons UNSALTED cold butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons Crisco or all-vegetable shortening, cold
- 5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 4 large Peaches (4 cups), un-peeled and sliced into 8ths
- 20 Cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ cup vanilla sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ tablespoon Demerara Sugar
- Place a large cookie sheet in the oven and pre-heat to 400.(leave the cookie sheet in the oven)
- Place flour,salt and sugar into a food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse a few times until mixed.
- Add all of the butter and pulse 5 or six more times.
- Add shortening. Pulse until the mixture has pea sized butter and shortening balls in the dough.
- Place the mixture into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the water over the dough and using a spatula, mix the dough until it comes together.
- Form the dough into a disc and place on floured plastic wrap.
- Wrap tightly.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight.
- In a medium bowl, mix together vanilla sugar, cinnamon and corn starch.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peaches, cherries and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the sugar/corn starch mixture over the peaches/cherries and stir until all incorporated.
- Place the dough onto a floured piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into a 15" circle (approximate size).
- Place the peach mixture into the middle of the dough circle, leaving a 2" rim of dough.
- Fold the dough up over the sides of the peaches.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- Keep the galette on the parchment paper and slide it onto the cookie sheet that is preheated in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes
*If you only have salted butter, decrease the salt amount in the crust to ½ teaspoon.
*You can use regular sugar instead of vanilla sugar in the filling.
*Feel free to a pre-made pie crust.
*If you don't have a food processor, you can cut the butter and shortening into the flour mixture with two forks.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2012/07/peach-cherry-galette.html