|Filet Mignon with Mushroom Mascarpone Sauce |
Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Date night done right with Filet Mignon covered in a elegant mushroom mascarpone sauce.
- 4 (4 oz each) filet mignons (2-2¼” thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz. Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup sherry wine
- ¾ cup beef broth, divided
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Allow the steaks to sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Generously season each steak with salt and pepper.
- Place a large oven-proof skillet (such as a cast iron skillet) into the oven.
- Preheat the oven (with the skillet) to 500 degrees F.
- Once the oven reaches 500 degrees, carefully remove the skillet and place it on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Pour canola oil into the pan and swirl to coat the entire bottom of the pan.
- Place the filets into the pan and cook for 4 minutes on the first side (do not move the steak around while it is cooking).
- Flip the steak over and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Put the skillet with the filets back into the oven and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, take steaks out of the skillet, place on a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm.
- *Cook the sauce in the same pan you cooked the steaks without washing it
- Place the skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup of beef broth and scrape up any brown bits that have formed in the pan from cooking the filets.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and cook while stirring for 30 seconds.
- Slowly stir in the sherry wine and remaining ½ cup beef broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Stir in mascarpone cheese and cook to warm through.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Spoon the sauce over the filets before serving
Recipe was developed by Leslie Green – The Hungry Housewife for The Florida Beef Council.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2012/05/filet-mignon-with-mushroom-mascarpone-sauce.html