|Garbanzo Bean Soup with Ham |
Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 27 mins
A delicious healthy Garbanzo Bean soup with ham and carrots
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, finely chopped ( about ½ large onion)
- ¾ cup carrot, finely chopped (about 1 large carrot)
- 1 8oz. package of diced ham
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 (19 oz.) cans Garbanzo Beans, lightly drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- TINY pinch saffron, like 4 threads (optional, it's $$$)
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- In a medium soup pot, over medium high heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ham and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder,thyme,marjoram,bay leaves, vinegar, kosher salt and pepper, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion hand blender, briefly blend the soup, about 5-10 seconds, you don't want a complete puree, you just want it to thicken up a bit.
If you do not have a hand blender, allow to soup to cool a bit and put ⅓ of it into a blender and pulse for a few seconds and add it back into the soup and stir.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2012/04/garbanzo-bean-soup-with-ham.html