Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 70 mins
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
Maple pumpkin Pie..they perfect holiday pie.
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening , cut into 2 pieces
- 2 tablespoons vodka , cold
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon maple extract
- Mix the flour, salt, and sugar together in a medium bowl.
- With a pastry fork,two forks or your fingers, mix the butter and shortening into the flour mixture (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds with some very small pieces of butter remaining, but there should be no uncoated flour).
- Empty mixture into medium bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together.
- Flatten dough into 4-inch disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough large enough to fit a 8" or 9" pie pan.
- Place it in your pie pan and put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the eggs and beat with a fork until mixed thoroughly.
- Slowly add the half and half and maple extract, stir until combined.
- Remove pie crust from the freezer and fill the crust with the pumpkin filling.
- Cover the edges of of the pie crust with foil or a pie crust sheild.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 35 minutes or until the center is set or when a tooth pick or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
The maple extract is optional. It might be hard to find in your area.
-Pie filling inspired by Better Homes and Gardens
-Pie crust from Cooks Illustrated
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2011/11/maple-pumpkin-pie.html