Author: Leslie Green - The Hungry Housewife
Prep time: 90 mins
Cook time: 36 mins
Total time: 2 hours 6 mins
A delicious mixed berry tart.
SWEET PASTRY DOUGH
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten(for brushing the dough while in the oven)
- 5 1/2 cups mixed berries, such as strawberries(sliced), blackberries, blueberries and raspberries
- 1 1/4 cup vanilla flavored yogurt, Greek or regular
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
FOR THE CRUST
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps.
- Beat together yolk and water with a fork and stir into flour mixture until combined well.
- Gently knead mixture in bowl with floured hands just until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4 or 5 times more.
- Form dough into a ball, then flatten into a 5-inch disk.
- Chill, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, at least 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Flour your counter again.
- Roll the dough out into a circle, large enough to fit in a 9" tart pan, about 10-11 inches.
- Place the dough in a 9" tart or pie pan.
- Lightly prick the bottom of the tart with a fork.
- Line the tart with foil and fill with pie weights.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the foil and weights.
- Reduce heat to 350.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven a brush with beaten egg white and bake for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
FOR THE BERRIES
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the berries,yogurt and agave nectar
- Pour the berries into the baked tart and serve.
No time to make your own dough? No worries, use a pre-made deep dish pie crust.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2011/09/mixed-berry-tart.html