Author: Leslie Green-The HUngry Housewife
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
The perfect New York Style Crumb Cake
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
- 1 3/4 cups CAKE flour
- 1 1/4cups CAKE flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- In a medium bowl whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Add flour and mix with your hands until the mixture resembles thick, cohesive dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Completely line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine.
- With mixer running at low speed, add butter one piece at a time; continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add egg, yolk, vanilla,almond extract and buttermilk; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, scraping once if necessary.
- Transfer batter to baking pan; using rubber spatula, spread batter into even layer.
- Break apart crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread in even layer over batter.
- Bake until crumbs are golden and wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan by lifting parchment overhang.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Recipe by The Hungry Housewife at http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2011/08/new-york-crumb-cake.html