I have officially determined that having children is bad for your self-esteem.
Everyday I get a big dose of reality in my house having a 10 and 8 year old.
2 days ago, my daughter tells me that, “It’s fun playing with your giggly belly.”
And yesterday I had a very short, yet to the point convo with my son…..
Son: “Mom, would you ever get plastic surgery?”
Son: “Where, on your face?”
I mean really, is there no filter??
What’s the worst thing your kid has ever said to you? I’d like to
laugh, cry with you.
So since I have a fun giggly belly and obvilously need plastic surgery on my face, I made my super simple roasted chicken.
I love love love roasting chicken.
The hands on cooking time is very minimal, but it tastes like you slaved for hours.
You get an uber juicy chicken bursting with flavors. Perfect for any night.
Shall I walk you through it?
Take your bird, rinse and dry it and pop it back in the fridge for a few hours to allow the skin to dry out a bit.
She looks so very vulnerable.
Gather what you need for a nice herbed compound butter.
Chop your fresh herbs.
Toss your salt, pepper, oil, rosemary, parsley and thyme in with your butter.
Mix until well incorporated.
Slather your bird, including the inside cavity.
Separate the skin from the breast meat with your fingers.
Massage the breast meat with the compound butter and replace the skin.
Get all Fifty Shade of Grey on the bird and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
Pop him in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Loosely tent with foil during the last 30 minutes.
Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes prior to slicing.
- 5 lb. Whole Chicken
- 1 stick Butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon minced Fresh Rosemary
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon minced Fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Rinse and dry the chicken and place it on a rack in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place in the refrigerator uncovered, until ready to cook dinner, up to 24 hours. (this helps the skin dry out)
- Preheat oven to 425
- In a small bowl, mix together butter,parsley,oil,rosemary,salt,thyme and pepper.
- With your fingers,separate the skin from the breast and spread butter over the meat and replace the skin. Continue to rub the entire chicken with butter including the inside.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast in oven for 1½ hours or until juices run clear.
- Loosely tent with foil during the last 30 minutes of cooking to prevent the skin from over-browning.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes prior to slicing.