It’s February 11th and you should totally be off your diets by now.
I mean, I personally didn’t set myself up for failure.
This little brunch recipe is anything but diet food.
It’s rich, with a super custardy bottom, and a sweet crunch top.
Layer half of your bread into a butter 9 x 13 dish
Pipe the mascarpone mixture over the bread
Layer your berries
Top with the remaining bread and spoon over egg mixture(photo not shown) Let sit overnight.
Top with crumb topping and bake.
- 1 large loaf French Bread (about 1 pound), cubed
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
- 8 large Strawberries, Sliced
- 9 Eggs
- 1½ cup Half & Half
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 8 oz. Mascarpone Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar,packed
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Table Salt
- 1 stick Butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped (optional)
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place ½ bread in bottom of pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together mascarpone cheese,powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice and place in a large zip lock bag and snip off the end.
- Pipe the cheese mixture over the bread.
- Top with berries.
- Top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs,half and half, milk, vanilla extract,salt,cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- Evenly pour over the egg mixture.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 min to 1 hour prior to baking to take the chill off.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Make crumb topping by In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the butter.
- With your hands, squish the butter into the flour/sugar mixture until it comes together.
- You will know it is thoroughly mixed when the mixture stays together when squeezed in your hands.
- Mix in the nuts if using.
- To add to your dish, Squeeze in your hands and then crumble on-top of your item.
- Place pan on a baking sheet, bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.