Ohhh, you know what?
You can have a sauce and pasta with your dinner and still be healthy.
There is no heavy cream, no parmesan cheese and no butter.
uh huh, no butter…kinda depressing…but not really.
One might think to have a sauce you need , butter and cheese..nope, you need neither.
The key is making a “slurry”. Making a slurry is simple, Mix corn starch with a cold liquid
But this was soooooo delicious and it’s healthy. SCORE.
Another way to up the nutritional value of a pasta meal is to kick the white flour pasta to the curb and replace it with a whole grain pasta.
Barilla Multi Grain pasta delivers 44 % more protein and almost twice as much fiber then traditional pasta.
This is honestly one of my favorite pasta/chicken dishes.
I am sure once you make it, it will be yours too!
- 8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium Red Onion, sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1½ pound Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2½ cups Chicken Stock
- 2½ tablespoons Corn Starch
- Juice of one Lemon
- 9 oz. Spinach
- 14.5 oz Barilla Plus Multi Grain Pasta, cooked to package directions
- In a medium bowl, add the chicken, 1 tablespoon oil, salt,pepper, Italian Seasoning and rosemary. Toss to incorporate and set aside.
- In large 12" skillet over medium heat, add the chicken and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Sautee onions and mushrooms until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes ,zucchini and squash, cook until the tomatoes start to pop open a bit.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken and any juices that accumulated in the bowl back into the pan.
- In a large measuring cup, mix together the chicken stock, corn starch and lemon juice.
- Add the chicken stock mixture to the pan and bring to a light boil until it thickens to your liking.
- Add the spinach and allow it to wilt down.
- Add the cooked pasta, stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Thank you to Barilla Plus for the delicious boxes of pasta and gift card!
Have you switched from white pasta yet?
White pasta is soooo 2009.
GIVEAWAY CONTEST CLOSED
$25 VISA GIFTCARD
2 BOXES BARILLA PLUS PASTA
Contest ends Monday August 20th 1st 2012 at 9 am EST.
Winner will be chosen by Random Org.com
Contest open to US residents only.
1.) Do you use white or whole grain/wheat pasta?
(For EACH additional entry, you must leave a SEPARATE comment for EACH ADDITIONAL entry)
2.) Like THE HUNGRY HOUSEWIFE on Facebook
3.) Follow THE HUNGRY HOUSEWIFE on Twitter
4.) Tweet using this..Go visit http://tinyurl.com/9sbwf55 @HungryHousewife for a $25 Gift Card and @BarillaUs GIVEAWAY
5.) Post about this giveaway on your Facebook Page using this tag http://tinyurl.com/9sbwf55
6.) Subscribe to THE HUNGRY HOUSEWIFE via email.
7.) Like Barilla on Facebook
8.)Like Barilla on Twitter
And there you have it, a total of 8 entries for you.