Ohhhhhhh, lord help me now.
Do you want an AMAZING and easy dessert? One that doesn’t have to look perfect? Here you have it.
But hurry up before peach season is over.
The sweet folks at the Georgia Peach Council, courtesy of Lane and Pearson Farms sent me the MOST DELICIOUS peaches I have ever had. I buy peaches all the time at the grocery store, but these were a million times better. Maybe the ones I get at the store aren’t Georgia Peaches. Regardless, they were the best peaches I have ever had….juicy and sweet..just perfect.
I’ve had bunches of galettes in my day, but I knew I wanted to use my fresh Georgia Peaches. I also wanted to add some tartness..so I threw some cherries in too.
Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!?
Oh and my crust…forgettaboutit. Full of flavor because of the butter and ultra flaky because of the shortening. I think it’s my best yet…defiantly a keeper!
You can take the super easy route and use a pre-made pie crust, but I advise against it..homemade crust is soooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO much better. However it does add more time to the process. So I suppose if you were in a rush, you could take the short cut.
The trick to homemade crust is to make sure some of the butter chunks are still intact. The butter chunks = flaky goodness. See the butter in the in the photo below? That’s how you want your rolled out crust to look like.
I used vanilla sugar in my filling. Click here to learn how to make it. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use just regular sugar.
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 14 tablespoons UNSALTED cold butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons Crisco or all-vegetable shortening, cold
- 5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 4 large Peaches (4 cups), un-peeled and sliced into 8ths
- 20 Cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ cup vanilla sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ tablespoon Demerara Sugar
- Place a large cookie sheet in the oven and pre-heat to 400.(leave the cookie sheet in the oven)
- Place flour,salt and sugar into a food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse a few times until mixed.
- Add all of the butter and pulse 5 or six more times.
- Add shortening. Pulse until the mixture has pea sized butter and shortening balls in the dough.
- Place the mixture into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the water over the dough and using a spatula, mix the dough until it comes together.
- Form the dough into a disc and place on floured plastic wrap.
- Wrap tightly.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight.
- In a medium bowl, mix together vanilla sugar, cinnamon and corn starch.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peaches, cherries and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the sugar/corn starch mixture over the peaches/cherries and stir until all incorporated.
- Place the dough onto a floured piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into a 15″ circle (approximate size).
- Place the peach mixture into the middle of the dough circle, leaving a 2″ rim of dough.
- Fold the dough up over the sides of the peaches.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- Keep the galette on the parchment paper and slide it onto the cookie sheet that is preheated in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes