Don’t you just love lettuce wraps?
You can eat a plethora of them and not feel guilty or feel like you need to go purge.
I honestly don’t remember the first place I had them, put I remember the coolness of the crispy lettuce against the piping hot filling. It was pure heaven. And very low in carbs. Yeah, I could probably live on lettuce wraps for the rest of my life. And the fact that this meal serves a family of four for $10 means my grocery bill would be pretty cheap for dinner for the remainder of my years. However, I am sure my offspring might object on the lettuce wraps for the rest of their lives.
This is another easy and family friendly meal I created for Sweetbay Supermarket’s $10 meal Challenge. Do you think you have a great $10 meal that feeds a family of 4? You can click here to submit your recipe!!!
- 1½ teaspoon oil, divided
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1 oz.) package Mongolian Beef Seasoning Mix
- ¼ cup carrot (1/2 large carrot), chopped
- 1 head Boston bibb lettuce
- 2 scallions, chopped, divided
- ½ cup crispy chow mein noodles (wide style)
- 1 cup Hannaford white rice, cooked to package directions
- ¾ cup Hannaford Frozen Peas and Carrots (from 16 oz. package), thawed
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Mix the Mongolian Beef Seasoning and ¼ cup water together in a small bowl and
- set aside.
- Over medium heat, add ½ teaspoon oil to a medium skillet
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside
- In the same skillet, cook for meat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain
- Place the meat back into the skillet and add the mushrooms, carrots and Mongolian beef seasoning. Stir to incorporate and cook until heated through.
- Separate the lettuce into 8 “cups”.
- Divide the filling into each cup. About ⅓ cup per piece of lettuce.
- Sprinkle with 1 scallions and crispy chow mein noodles.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat add 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add the thawed peas and carrots and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until carrots are softened
- Add the eggs and quickly stir until cooked.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Stir in the soy sauce and 1 scallion.
- Season to your liking with salt and pepper