When Sweetbay Supermarket came to me to develop recipes for them for a new program they were launching I was so excited.
They wanted to launch a challenge to all of their shoppers. What is the challenge you may ask?
Feed a family of 4 for $10 or less.
I was up for it, ohhhh, yes I was.
You see I am not much of a bargain shopper, coupon cutter or price watcher. Ha, I don’t even meal plan. Shocking I know, coming form a food blogger, you would think I was super organized in the grocery shopping department. But sadly, I am not. Well, that is until now.
Having to develop recipes, and price specific recipes at that, forced me to get organized and count every penny. Normally I would go to the grocery store about 4 times a week because I would always change my mind on what I was cooking or I had forgotten something.
Having a recipe prepared ahead of time not only saved me HUGE amounts of money at the grocery store, it also saved me time.
So why did Sweetbay Supermarket want to come up with this challenge, $10 Meals?
They believe you can feed a family of four a delicious, nutritious and quick meal for $10 or less.
I am here to tell you that you can!
Over the next 13 weeks, I will be sharing the $10 meals I created for Sweetbay Supermarket.
The trick to getting a delicious meal for under $10 is to purchase things that are on sale, to use store brand whenever possible, to take some shortcuts(using prepared items, such as the stuffing) and to make it simple!
You will notice that all of the recipes are very easy to cook and have minimal ingredients. Let’s face it, we are all busy and most of the time we don’t have 2 hours to devote to preparing dinner.
Oh and lookie here… I am now known as the “$10 Meal Expert”! Isn’t The way they did the $10 meal website super cute?
Sweetbay Supermarkets are located throughout West Central Florida. Click here if you would like to find one in your area.
- 1lb. Boneless Center Cut Pork Chops
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pear, chopped into small pieces
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 6 oz. Box Hannaford Pork Stuffing Mix, cooked to package directions
- Season the pork chops with the pepper, salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pork chops and cook for 3 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the
- middle and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the butter, apple, pear, cranberries and cinnamon. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the fruit is softened.
- Add the pork chops and any juices that have accumulated on the plate back into the pan. Toss with the fruit and serve.
- Serve with the stuffing