I sooooo look forward to pumpkin carving each year for the sole reason of roasting pumpkin seeds.
You see, pumpkins don’t last long once carved here in the Florida heat. We carve our pumpkins usually 1-2 days before Halloween. If we do them much earlier, they turn into a black moldy pile of mush…it not a pretty sight.
My kids each get to pick their own pumpkin to carve, which means MORE SEEDS!
Yes, I get the dirty job of separating the seeds from the pumpkin meat, but thats all fine and dandy for me.
There are many ways to can season roasted pumpkin seeds. You can make them sweet, you can make them spicy, the possibilites are endless. For me, I make them they way my Momma used to..simple.
- 3 cups pumpkin Seeds, seeds from 2 large pumpkins
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tablespoon course Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To clean the pumpkin seeds, separate them from from pumpkin and rinse them in a strainer.
- Pour the pumpkin seeds on a large baking sheet and allow to dry in the open air for several hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- In a measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Mix the olive oil, salt and pepper into the melted butter.
- Pour the butter mixture over the pumpkin seeds and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the pumpkin seeds on a large baking dish.
- Bake them for 40 minutes, stirring every minutes.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.