Just because it is fall doesn’t mean you can’t have ice cream. I mean, it’s not COLD yet.
Every time I make ice cream I swear it’s the best I have ever had. So, either I am building an arsenal of the worlds best ice cream or I am totally full of myself. hmmm?
This ice cream is soooo good if I do say so myself. (did you hear the tooting of ones own horn?)
The coffee flavor is perfect with delicious ribbons of caramel. The chopped chocolate, well just goes perfect with coffee, and the cacao nibs give it a wonderful crunch.
I made this 2 days ago and it is all gone. Not sure where it all went. But I can tell you that my cellulite seems to be growing cellulite on top of itself. ehhh, who cares.
Starbucks was kind enough to send me a bunch of VIA Ready Brew coffee packets. Not only are they convenient to make a nice cup of coffee with, but you can also do a billion things with them. I choose to create some ice cream..duh.
If you love Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE this ice cream!
- 1 cup whole milk
- A pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 cups heavy cream,cold
- 2 packets Starbucks VIA Ready Brew Italian Roast
- 5 egg yolks
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped
- ¾ cup Cacao Nibs, I use Scharffen Berger
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- Put a large sauce pan on the stove.
- Split the vanilla bean pod in half and scrape the beans out and place the pod and the beans in the pot.
- Add the whole milk, salt, and Starbucks VIA ready brew packets
- Over medium heat, heat the mixture until little bubbles start to form around the edges of the pot, but it is not at a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they start to lighten a bit(this takes a few minutes with vigorous whisking).
- Gradually add the sugar while still whisking.
- CAREFULLY start to add some of the hot milk into the egg mixture.
- Do this by taking about ¼ cup of the hot milk mixture at a time and slowly adding it to the egg mixture while whisking. Do it slowly or you will have scrambled eggs!
- Continue to incorporate the milk into the eggs until about half of it is mixed in.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture into the pot on the stove with the remaining milk.
- Cook on low heat until the mixture is thickened and the temperature is 170(egg safety).
- Pour the heavy cream into a large bowl.
- Pour the cooked mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl with the heavy cream, mix and allow to sit a room temperature until it is no longer steaming.
- Cover tightly and place into the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from fridge and remove the split vanilla bean pod.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufactures directions.
- A few minutes before the ice cream is done, add the chocolate chips, cacao nibs, and caramel sauce