Coconut Ice candy is so cool..not literally cool, it’s not actually ice. It’s a chewy little morsel of sweet goodness.
It was quite popular at my sisters beautiful baby shower that I threw for her. in case you missed the awesomeness, you can view it here.
One word of advice…DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use regular sweetened flake coconut. It will be WAYYYYY too sweet. It is sweet enough as it is. So you must find some dried, unsweetened coconut. This is the brand I always use. Ok, you got it? NO SWEETENED coconut. Now that we have that all cleared up, go make some coconut ice.
Ohhh, and I forgot the best part, you can color it any color you little heart desires! And you can even add flavorings if you want, think..peppermint. YUM!
- 3 cups + 6 tablespoons Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2½ cups unsweetened dried coconut(also know as desiccated coconut)
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk, lowfat or non fat is fine
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- Line the entire interior of an 8 x 8 pan with foil sprayed with non stick spray or non stick foil.
- In a large bowl combine the powdered sugar and dried coconut. Stir together.
- Stir in the condensed milk and vanilla.
- Divide the mixture into half.
- Place the plain white mixture into the prepared pan and press it firmly into the pan.
- Place your desired amount of food coloring into the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Firmly press the colored mixture evenly onto the white mixture.
- Cover with foil or cling wrap and place into the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight until the coconut ice is firm.
- Cut into desired size and serve.