Garlic TIP

Have I been living under the baking rock?
When I need to get the skins off my garlic, I just smash the clove with the sides of a large chef knife and then pick it apart, welllllll………………

my sister just called me with this tip her friend Denise told her…

Put your garlic in a Tupperware container(separate the bulbs from one another), put a lid on it and “SHAKE THE HELL OUT OF IT” for about 20 or so seconds.
Me being the skeptic, I was out to prove them wrong.
I try the so called new trick.
And DAMN it, they were right!!!! The skins were totally removed.
Ok, so maybe you already new this new found trickery, smarty pants!

Comments

1. 1

I DIDN’T know that! Will have to try it–I do not enjoy peeling garlic!

2. 2
    VeggieGirl says:

I didn’t know this either!! Thanks for sharing!!

3. 3

I’m a chef knife smasher also. I had no idea you could use tupperware! Good tip

4. 4
    oneshotbeyond says:

I didn’t know it. Thanks!

5. 5

I’ve always done the smash with the knife trick. I’ll have to try this way instead!

6. 6

I am so trying this next time I have to peel garlic! What a great tip, thank you.

7. 7

Ok, I knew. Go ahead and shoot me… but not in the face.

Anyway, I like your enthusiasm in the kitchen.

8. 8

Well, I never knew that! I do it the way you do (or did until now!). Cool trick.

Love your new header picture!

9. 9

I never knew this either but will be trying it!

10. 10
    Evolving Mommy Catherine says:

I think I might have heard this trick before because it sounds oddly familiar, but I forgot all about it until I read your post. Thanks for reminding me.

11. 11

Interesting.
    I am half Assyrian (Iran now) and my Grandma always, let me repeat, always, had a cup or glass full of garlic cloves soaking in water. They just slip right out but I am not sure how long to soak them. Then you can drink the water. Mmm.
    Just kidding about drinking the water part.

12. 12

Oh that’s a cool idea! I’m all for making things easier in the kitchen.

13. 13

every single day i become more convinced that i live in a cave. there’s so much i don’t know–thanks for teaching me something new!

14. 14

I’ve never heard of this either. I’ll have to try this, but I bet my family will think I’m crazy.

15. 15

no kidding! I am so trying that!

16. 16
    Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer says:

Awesome tip. I had no idea. I’ll definitely try it.

I was just thinking yesterday (when I was at William Sonoma) that I should roast some garlic and make a paste that we can use all the time anyhow.

17. 17
    NAVAL LANGA says:

I have read some of your posts and would like to revisit.

If you like reading short stories from an Indian writer, then a visit to my blogs would be an interesting one for you.

Naval Langa
    SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
    PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Another Interesting Blog LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

18. 18
    The Blonde Duck says:

That’s a great tip!

19. 19
    TeeThymeDiva says:

Thanks for the tip. Like Amber’s grandmother, I soak mine in some hot water, the skins come right off.

20. 20

I have never tried this! I better get shaking!

21. 21

I have seen Rachael Ray do this on TV..It really works great.

22. 22

Great tip! You better believe I’ll be trying this next time the ol’ garlic comes out!

23. 23

Perfect tip! Sometimes I even wear rubber kitchen gloves when I prep garlic because I can’t stand the smell lingering on my hands!

24. 24

I’ve never heard of shaking or soaking, but it’ll be fun to try.

25. 25

THANK YOU!!!! it’s a very helpful tip… 🙂

26. 26

i’ve never heard of that, very clever thanks!!

27. 27

i think your way is more practical.

28. 28

News to me, thanks for the tip!

29. 29

Cool!Never heard this before!

30. 30

Never knew this, thanks for sharing!

31. 31

I always use my knife as well. I wouldn’t have believed them either. I’ll have to give it a try, especially next time I’m doing chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. That would be a real time saver. 😉

I love your blog as well, you have a beautiful family and lovely pictures.

32. 32

Thanks for the great tip! I’ve been buying already peeled whole cloves (for more $$!!) because the skins were such a hassle.

Yippee!

ps_menu_class_0

Garlic TIP

Have I been living under the baking rock?

my sister just called me with this tip her friend Denise told her…

Me being the skeptic, I was out to prove them wrong.
I try the so called new trick.
And DAMN it, they were right!!!! The skins were totally removed.
Ok, so maybe you already new this new found trickery, smarty pants!

1. Katrina says:

I DIDN’T know that! Will have to try it–I do not enjoy peeling garlic!

2. VeggieGirl says:

I didn’t know this either!! Thanks for sharing!!

3. Carrian says:

I’m a chef knife smasher also. I had no idea you could use tupperware! Good tip

4. oneshotbeyond says:

I didn’t know it. Thanks!

5. Sharon says:

6. Tanya says:

7. Marysol says:

Ok, I knew. Go ahead and shoot me… but not in the face.

Anyway, I like your enthusiasm in the kitchen.

8. Patsyk says:

Love your new header picture!

9. Lisa says:

I never knew this either but will be trying it!

10. Evolving Mommy Catherine says:

11. Amber says:

Interesting.
    Just kidding about drinking the water part.

12. Bridgett says:

Oh that’s a cool idea! I’m all for making things easier in the kitchen.

13. Grace says:

14. Hayley says:

15. Dawn says:

no kidding! I am so trying that!

16. Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer says:

Awesome tip. I had no idea. I’ll definitely try it.

17. NAVAL LANGA says:

I have read some of your posts and would like to revisit.

Naval Langa
    SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
    PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Another Interesting Blog LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

18. The Blonde Duck says:

That’s a great tip!

19. TeeThymeDiva says:

20. Maria says:

I have never tried this! I better get shaking!

21. MaryBeth says:

I have seen Rachael Ray do this on TV..It really works great.

22. Jenny says:

23. Maris says:

24. Jancd says:

I’ve never heard of shaking or soaking, but it’ll be fun to try.

25. mikky says:

THANK YOU!!!! it’s a very helpful tip… 🙂

26. Amira says:

i’ve never heard of that, very clever thanks!!

27. foodbin says:

i think your way is more practical.

28. Sara says:

News to me, thanks for the tip!

29. Candy says:

Cool!Never heard this before!

30. Jamie says:

Never knew this, thanks for sharing!

31. Jennifer says:

I love your blog as well, you have a beautiful family and lovely pictures.

32. biz319 says: